And What Happens After 40…..?

I was told many years ago, that when you turn 40 you lose a body part a year.

Now, I hate to admit it, but this premonition has come true……..much to my dismay.

So far, some of the body parts I have lost (and miss) are:
-carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists
-trigger finger in my thumb
-bifocals
-arthritis in my hips
-hearing is starting to go
-knee joint pain
-hair is gray
-I’m working with a limited number of teeth

This weekend the weather was beautiful! My sorely neglected yard was looking back at me with sad shaggy shrubs!

I knew……………….I just knew I was going to lose another body part if I went out to do yard work. But, oh no, listen to my common sense?
Not I, said the little redhead……..

Well……………
My back is out. I can barely walk. Sitting is out of the question. I had to air dry my feet after my shower because I couldn’t bend down. I’m pumping down ibuprofen like there’s no tomorrow.

And yes…………… I was warned……

_

1. 18 Responses to “And What Happens After 40…..?”

2. By foradifferentkindofgirl.blogspot.com on Apr 27, 2009 | Reply

I’ve been there. Ah, I’ll never again fail to overlook and appreciate the mechanics involved in just using the bathroom…

Hope things get back into place soon!

3. By Jessica on Apr 27, 2009 | Reply

You forgot :

Gerd,
    shin splints
    pulled hamstring muscles or is that just my good fortune?

4. By KathyB! on Apr 27, 2009 | Reply

Quick! Get the heating pad out and put it back in your recliner!

Seriously, though, you should go tyour doc and get some muscle relaxers. Sounds like you have a mammoth spasm that’s preventing you from relaxing the muscle. It will go along way towards helping you on the path to healing.

5. By Hyphen Mama on Apr 27, 2009 | Reply

Awe crap!! What happens when half of those things are on my already-happened list? 40 is gonna hurt! I’d better put a body splint on layaway.

6. By Futureblackmail on Apr 27, 2009 | Reply

The thumb thing caught me in my twenties…I blame my blackberry and my constant need to roll the little ball. :)

Thanks for stopping by today!

7. By Becky on Apr 27, 2009 | Reply

Oh, man. I pulled out my back a couple weeks ago and I’m in AGONY. I feel your pain. Get some heat on it and rest as much as you can. You poor thing.

8. By JAM (Just A Mom) on Apr 27, 2009 | Reply

oh sister… I won’t even tell ya what starts happening after you turn 50!!!

Sorry to hear about your back. Hope you start feeling better soon. Better take it easy for a few day! (Is that possible?)

9. By Mrs4444 on Apr 27, 2009 | Reply

Well, I am 46 now, and today, I forgot a phone number that I dial on a daily basis! You forgot (LOL) that you miss your memory, too!! :)

10. By Ree on Apr 27, 2009 | Reply

Oh, no! Poor baby. A good hot soak in a tub?

11. By Jen on Apr 27, 2009 | Reply

You’re scaring me. Just turned 40 and already am dealing with so many body parts that have rebelled. Don’t think I can deal with much more. Don’t say it’s all down hill from here.

12. By texasholly @ June Cleaver Nirvana on Apr 27, 2009 | Reply

My Brother in law told my husband that when you are in your 30s you always seem to notice one health problem…when you are in your 40s it is two. My hubby turned 40 this year and it has been true so far…

13. By Shawn on Apr 27, 2009 | Reply

Well, I agree with the teeth thing—I have lost most of my crowns—dang things…

And since I use my Bowflex several times a week, I am ALWAYS sore someplace!

Hope you feel better soon. :)

14. By Jenn @ Juggling Life on Apr 27, 2009 | Reply

I now take ibuprofen BEFORE I start to work in the yard. It actually helps.

15. By Fiona Bryan on Apr 28, 2009 | Reply

note to self — hire gardener! lol

16. By The Stiletto Mom on Apr 29, 2009 | Reply

Oh honey, tell me about it. So far I have lost part of my nose (sinus surgery), my gallbladder, part of my uterus and some skin thanks to pesky moles. Other parts just cease to work…my knees, my ankles, my wrists, my eyes…sadly also MY BRAIN. This aging thing is just not for the faint of heart!

17. By KathyB! on May 5, 2009 | Reply

I used this post for my inspiration for today’s post on my blog and I linked back to you :)

18. By passions & soapboxes on May 5, 2009 | Reply

Oh my God I’m not the only one. You lose so much but then you gain so much… diabetes, hysterectomy, bad eyesight, etc.

19. By Yaya on Jun 20, 2009 | Reply